Helping families with children ages three to kindergarten entrance navigate opportunities and resources, including early childhood screening and preschool enrollment.
Helping families with:
- Preschool registration and scholarship assistance
- Early childhood screening connection and follow-up
- Childcare applications and financial assistance
- Navigation and connection to local organizations and resources including but not limited to:
- Food access
- Health care
- Mental health services
¡Se Habla Español!
call or text 507-301-6345
Enjoy story times and more
on our Growing Up Healthy YouTube channel
Sign up for early childhood screening!
Faribault and Northfield Public Schools are glad to provide this free health and development screening. Early childhood staff help parents learn more about their child’s development and how to prepare for kindergarten. Early Childhood Screening is required by the state of Minnesota. It is best to have your child screened when (s)he/they are 3 1/2 years old, or at least one year prior to starting kindergarten. Vision, hearing, growth, immunization records and overall development are discussed. Parents receive information about how to connect with local early learning programs, and how to help their child be ready for kindergarten.
Find more information about early childhood screening in multiple languages: Minnesota Department of Education.
Help Rice County meets its goal to have all children complete early childhood screening by the time they are 3 1/2 years old!
Here are additional resources to support your child’s early literacy skills:
- Sign up for Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library
- Sign up for parent powered texts through Think Small
- Visit the public library and sign up for a library card (Northfield, Faribault)
- Connect with a literacy specialist from the local public schools – contact an Early Childhood Navigator for more information
Meet the Early Childhood Navigator
Find local programming and resources
By the Numbers
From July 2019 to June 2020, the Early Childhood Navigators served 155 children ages 0-5 years from Northfield and Faribault, helping more than half connect with a high-quality early learning opportunity. The Navigators supported families to complete nearly 80 applications for preschool scholarships or other financial supports to overcome barriers and improve their child’s readiness for kindergarten.